ERM has been working with Aviation Projects for over three years on various wind farm development projects, with positive tangible results for our business and, more importantly, for our clients. The industry leading expertise, level of professionalism and meticulous attention to detail delivered by Aviation Projects are a reflection of the high standards that they set for themselves. The client’s desired outcomes are always of the highest consideration and adherence to standards and regulations are paramount.
I highly recommend Aviation Projects to any business that needs to identify and address potential aviation safety impacts in order to secure a development approval.
Aviation Projects is Australia’s leading airport and aerodrome specialists. We are trusted to deliver innovative solutions to complex aviation problems across Australia and the Asia-Pacific.
Aviation expert witness testimony clarifies, explains, and analyses key aviation matters for legal jurisdictions. Aviation Projects Managing Director, Keith Tonkin, is a frequent aviation expert witness in matters before various courts, as well as the media.
Keith is able to assist with complex litigation matters by unravelling aviation industry protocols, behaviours, standards and facts for planning authorities, safety regulators, aircraft accident investigators, insurance companies, airports, and aircraft operators.
Some of the legal matters in which Keith Tonkin has been involved as an aviation expert witness include:
- Silverdale Airpark – QLD Planning and Environment Court
- Gullen Range Wind Farm – NSW Land and Environment Court
- Tungamull Airstrip – QLD Planning and Environment Court
- Parklands Blue Metal Quarry – QLD Planning and Environment Court
- Carrigan Helicopter Landing Site – QLD Planning and Environment Court
- Old Bar Ferris Wheel – NSW District Court, Supreme Court
- Gold Coast Airport ILS – Administrative Appeals Tribunal
- Yeeha Tours and Holidays Pty Ltd t/as Mile High Aviation v Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services – QLD Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- Compost Works Pty Ltd vs Bundaberg Regional Council – QLD Planning and Environment Court
- Naroghid Wind Farm v Minister for Planning – Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- Pallamana Solar Farm – South Australia State Commission Assessment Panel
- Clergy/Church school abuse, compensation claim – Supreme Court of NSW
- Lantrak Appeal – QLD Planning and Environment Court
- Cockatoo Island Mining Infrastructure Pty Ltd vs Pearl Gull Iron Ltd & Anor – Western Australia Warden’s Court
- Moira Shire Council & Ors ats Hai Dang Vu & Hai Quoc Vu – Supreme Court, Melbourne
- Bundaberg Shire Council v Procon Developments – QLD Planning and Environment Court
- Kavant Nominees v Greater Shepparton City Council - Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal
Keith has also been engaged as an expert aviation commentator during major aviation disasters, including:
- The disappearance of MH370
- The Germanwings A320 accident
- The crash of Metrojet A321 Flight 9268 over Egypt
- The Teneriffe Airport disaster
- The China Eastern Airlines accident
- Gold Coast Sea World helicopter accident
Keith Tonkin has been in the aviation industry since 1986. He started his career in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), where he spent 15 years. While in the RAAF, he flew short-haul tactical transport and humanitarian operations in the Caribou, followed by strike and reconnaissance operations in the long-range F-111.
After leaving the RAAF, Keith spent nine years flying international and domestic operations for Qantas in the Boeing 747-300 & 400 and Boeing 737-300 & 400 & 800-series aircraft.
In 2003, Keith founded the successful Aviation Projects consultancy, where he and his team have established a reputation for offering well-reasoned and independent advice to the aviation industry.
Keith also has extensive post-graduate qualifications, including approval by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to conduct aerodrome safety inspections – coupled with his substantial experience, Keith is able to provide significant aviation expert witness testimony and advice.
Our aviation expert witness services include:
- Technical analysis
- Aviation and safety-related commentary
- Unbiased and fact-based opinion
- Conference of experts
- Concurrent evidence.